“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” rings true for our recycling program. From donations of eyeglasses, sunglasses, hearing aids and cell phones, we’re able to generate funds for our vision and hearing programs. We’re also able to provide gently used prescription eyeglasses to our neighbors in need throughout the world for humanitarian and mission trips.
All of this is made possible through our Recycling Center at our corporate headquarters in Chamblee, Georgia. Managed by The Lighthouse, and staffed by Lions Clubs members, corporate and community volunteer groups, the Recycling Center is a collection center for donations of these items from throughout Georgia and the Southeast.
• Eyeglasses of all types and in any condition of wear, including prescription eyeglasses, readers, and sunglasses
• Donations of cell phones and hearing aids, in any condition
Where your donations go:
• By law we are unable to dispense used prescription eyeglasses to patients in the U.S. – all Lighthouse patients receive brand new eyeglasses. We are able to provide Georgians in need refurbished and gently used readers and non-prescription sunglasses.
• Eyeglasses in good condition are sent overseas on mission trips
• Donations of scratched and broken glasses are accepted and used in our annual Night of Spectacles fundraiser.
We also accept donations of cell phones and hearing aids as part of our Cells for Sight program. The phones and hearing aids are sold to refurbishing companies, and the proceeds are used to fund our sight-saving cataract surgeries, retinopathies, and detached retina corrections.
Focus on Mission Trips
The Lighthouse provides a unique opportunity for organizations traveling outside the U.S. to provide eyeglasses to our neighbors in need in other countries. We receive and recycle thousands of pairs of eyeglasses each year, read the prescriptions, and package them for shipment. We have single vision glasses, bifocals, prescription sunglasses, and a limited number of reading glasses and non-prescription sunglasses available.
If you or a group you know is going on a mission trip and would like to bring glasses along, please contact us!
To request glasses for an overseas trip, download the documents below and send the necessary documents (or questions) to .
– Eyeglass Mission Report (to be completed after trip)
*Request for glasses should be made at least one month prior to their expected delivery date.
In order to meet the demand for eyeglasses requests for mission trips, we need your help getting them ready! There are many opportunities to volunteer in our Recycling Center. These include, but are not limited to- washing, sorting, and reading eyeglass prescriptions.
To learn more about volunteer opportunities, contact:
Host a Recycling Drive
We always encourage volunteers to hold recycling drives at their school, work, or church. We collect eyeglasses, cell phones, and hearing aids in any condition. We do not provide collection boxes, visit Lions Clubs International’s website here for more resources.